In April 2010, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr.Jill Biden came together and started the Joining Forces initiative is a comprehensive national initiative to mobilize all sectors of society to give our service members and their families the opportunities and support they have earned. Joining Forces focuses on employment, education and the overall wellness of military families through
First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden joke together while taping a Joining Forces public service announcement in the East Room of the White House, April 4, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)
First Lady Michelle Obama laughs while visiting with Brianna Mast, wife of Wounded Warrior Sgt. Brian Mast, and their son Magnus, in the Green Room of the White House, prior to the Joining Forces initiative event in support of military families, April 12, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Samantha Appleton)
Per the Joining Forces page:
- Supports the academic achievement of military children by helping schools become more responsive to the unique needs of military children and families; and
- Promotes and supports higher education institutions and programs that expand education opportunities, eases transferability for military-connected students, and expands job training opportunities for military spouses and veterans.
- Highlights the workforce potential of veterans and military spouses;
- Expands employment and career development opportunities for veterans and military spouses; and
- Helps employers create military family-friendly workplaces
- Calls attention to the critical issues facing veterans and military families; and
- Expands access to wellness programs, and resources for military spouses and families.
President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, and Dr. Jill Biden wait in the Green Room of the White House before the East Room event to launch the First Lady’s and Dr. Biden’s Joining Forces national initiative to support and honor America’s service members and their families, April 12, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
First Lady Michelle Obama, Dr. Jill Biden and Martha Stewart drop by Operation Shower, a celebration for pregnant women whose husbands are service members, at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, April 13, 2011. The event was part of the launch of Joining Forces, a national initiative to support and honor America’s service members and their families. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)